Other PTC Initiatives
Newman PTC Book Fair
Monday, December 4th – Friday, December 8th, 2017
Family Night: Wednesday, December 6th, 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.
The Book Fair celebrates reading and literacy and provides an opportunity for students to purchase books alongside their classmates and teachers. All proceeds from the Book Fair are used to purchase books for classrooms libraries and the Media Center. In addition, Book Fair proceeds and donations to the Gift of Reading fund scholarship books for Newman students in need.
Support Literacy at Newman
Classroom Wish Lists
All Newman classroom teachers & specialists have created Wish Lists of books they would like for their classrooms. Parents can purchase books from the Wish Lists for their child’s teachers, and stickers are available to recognize your generous donations.
Teacher/Specialist Gift Certificates
Parents may purchase Gift Certificates for any Newman teacher or specialist to purchase books for their classroom libraries. Gift Certificates may be purchased in any denomination either online or via a paper form.
Gift of Reading Donations for Newman Families
Parents may also donate to Newman’s Gift of Reading program. The Gift of Reading helps provide books for Newman students and families. Donations are accepted in any amount and can be made online or via a paper form.
Special Offerings at Family Night
- Gifts for children & adults — In addition to a great selection of books, there will be unique gift items for children and adults available for purchase only during Family Night.
- Newman Spirit Wear — Visit the special Spirit Wear table at Family Night for all of your Newman gear!
Newman Shopping Bags Available
Throughout the Book Fair, families can purchase a purple Newman shopping bag for $3 to carry their books home. Proceeds from shopping bags support the Newman PTC’s 5th Grade Activities Committee.
Partnering with Wellesley Books
This year, we are partnering with Wellesley Books as our Book Fair vendor. Your Book Fair purchases will support Newman teachers and students as well as a local, independent bookstore.
When will my child visit the Book Fair?
All students will visit the Book Fair with their class during the school day (most classes will visit during their normally scheduled media times). Parents are welcome to join their child during their scheduled time, or they may visit any time the Book Fair is open. We will also have a special Family Night on Wednesday, December 6th from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
How much money should I send in with my child?
Every family is different and the decision is up to each parent/guardian. A book costs anywhere from $5-$15 on average, and sales tax is charged. If you send cash to school with your child, please send it in a sealed envelope with your child’s name, the amount, and any special instructions written on the outside. Scholarships are available. Please contact your child’s teacher or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Do we have to visit the Book Fair in the evening?
No, as mentioned above, your child will visit the Book Fair with his/her class during the school day.
What types of payment do you accept at the Book Fair?
We accept cash and all major credit cards. No checks will be accepted during the Book Fair.
Thank you for supporting the Newman PTC’s Book Fair!
Andrea Carter, Michelle Harris, Gretchen Siletto
Book Fair Co-Chairs
Questions about the Book Fair? Contact email@example.com
Every year the Newman PTC sets aside money to help fund creative projects designed to enrich the elementary school curriculum. This funding is allocated through Curriculum Grants (CGs).
Curriculum Grant funds have been used to purchase wonderful learning tools such as digital microscopes, magnetic sentence-making boards, mathematic games, Massachusetts history books, Revolutionary War video series and African drums.
Curriculum Grant Guidelines
Curriculum Grants are available to teachers, staff members, parents or students (parents and students must have a sponsoring staff member). Grants may be written for materials, resources, books or other ideas that support and enhance the curriculum and can be applied to a single class, multiple classes, cross-grade, grade level or whole school activity.
Although flexible, Curriculum Grants are limited in the following ways:
- Funding will be at the discretion of the Curriculum Grant Committee and may be for full, partial or no funding. Grant applications may be submitted throughout the school year until the budget is depleted. Any application that is larger than $750 needs board approval in addition to committee approval.
- Curriculum Grants will only fund one or two time expenditures, but will not be a funding source for recurring projects year after year.
- Grants are intended to provide funding that is not otherwise available for specific projects which enrich the elementary school curriculum.
- Curriculum Grant money cannot be used to cover basic classroom supplies, student transportation costs, staff development, or donations.
The Curriculum Grant Committee
Curriculum Grant applications are reviewed by a committee consisting of teachers and parents representing each grade, to a maximum of 30 people. This committee communicates primarily through email. If you are interested in serving on this committee, please contact one of the Committee chairs.
The Curriculum Grant Committee can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
Teacher Representatives are TBD.
Completing the Curriculum Grant Application
- Click the button at the top of the page to submit an online application.
- Please complete the form and include any attachments that help explain or support the grant request.
- Following review by the Curriculum Grant Committee, a committee chair will notify you if your grant application has been approved.
- Please contact the committee chairs if you have any questions!
Securing Curriculum Grant Reimbursement
- Once a Grant is approved, the applicant must complete the Curriculum Grant Check Request, attach all applicable receipts, invoices or completed order forms and place these materials in the PTC mailbox in the front office. Please address all materials to the Curriculum Grant Committee. The applicant should retain a copy of the Check Request form and all receipts.
- Allow 2 weeks for the request to be processed. Invoices, catalog orders, etc. can be paid directly to the vendor whenever possible to avoid out-of-pocket expenditures by the grant applicant. To do this, fill in payee name and address on the Curriculum Grant Check Request and attach a completed order form.
- Purchases funded by PTC grants are tax exempt and therefore we do not need to pay sales tax! Please remember to use the PTC’s Tax Exempt #222 888 134 when making any purchases that will be reimbursed by a Curriculum Grant.
The Mayrathon is coming, the Mayrathon is coming!!!
Join us in May for Newman’s annual fun run to benefit a local charity.
The Mayrathon is Newman’s own version of the Boston marathon, complete with town signage and water stations, where students collect pledges and then hit the “Mayrathon” course to complete as many laps as they can muster around the perimeter of Newman.
Any questions - please contact email@example.com.
Newman's Birthday Book Club
Newman’s Birthday Book Club is a wonderful way to celebrate our students and their enjoyment of reading! Your participation allows your child to be personally involved in helping build the Library’s collection of books. We hope you will consider participating.
Please visit this special Newman Media website for more information.
The Newman Yearbook is put together each year by the Newman PTC. We include every child in the yearbook from grades K-5. In addition to candid shots, each grade is represented by classroom using the professional student pictures taken in the fall. The yearbook is a wonderful keepsake for the students to have of their year at Newman.
To order for the 2021-22 school year, go to www.coffeepond.com and select “order yearbooks”. The password to order is yearbook22.
The pricing is set for for $18.00 and yearbooks can be ordered until 3/31. Scholarships are available; please contact Newman secretary, Carol Patsio, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about scholarships.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.